Podium supports the Verifone P400 in-store card reader. Before you can use it to accept payments, you’ll need to set up the card reader in Podium, connect the reader to power, then connect the device to the internet and register it.
When you’re setting up a card reader, you’ll need to link it to a bank account. Once set up, it can process payments for all bank accounts that you’ve added to Podium.
To set up the card reader in Podium:
- Click the settings (gear) icon and select Payments.
- Click Card Readers.
- Click Add a card reader.
- If necessary, select a location. (Readers can be linked to one location only.)
- Select a bank account. (Readers can send payments to any bank account after you complete the setup process.)
- Give the reader a nickname. The nickname should be descriptive and easy for your term to recognize, such as “Customer Service Desk.” This name will be required during the checkout process.
- Click Next and continue with the next task, “Connecting a Card Reader to Power.”
When you receive your card reader, you should have these three pieces:
- A card reader
- A Verifone P400 cable
- A power cord
You can connect the reader to power in three simple steps:
- Remove the back panel of the reader. Then plug the Verifone P400 cable into the card reader and replace the panel.
- Plug the power cord into the Verifone P400 cable.
- Plug the power cord into an outlet. It might take a few minutes for your reader to turn on and update itself. You may see various screens about these updates and device information.
- Go back to Podium and continue with the next task, “Connecting to the Internet.”
After you’ve set up your card reader in Podium and powered up the device, you need to connect the card reader to the internet and register it.
We strongly recommend using an ethernet cable to connect to the internet so your connection is reliable. However, you can use Wi-Fi if necessary. If you do, make sure the computer you’re using to register the device (and take card reader payments) and the card reader are both using the same secure 2.5 GHz Wi-Fi network.
To connect to the internet and register your card reader:
- Plug in an ethernet cable to the Verifone P400 cable in the port labeled ETH. (If you're using Wi-Fi, follow the instructions on the screen.)
- When you’re connected to the internet, click I’m ready.
- Manually enter the security code on the card reader. (There’s no field to enter the code into; you’ll simply enter the numbers at the appropriate screen.)
- If the security code was entered correctly, the card reader will display a three-word registration code. Go back to Podium and click Next.
- Enter the three-word code that is displayed on your reader.
- Click Register.
If set up correctly, your card reader’s status will be “online.” You’re ready to start collecting payments using your card reader.
If your card reader isn’t able to connect to Wi-Fi, make sure your connection meets these requirements:
- Both the card reader and the computer you’re using to connect the card reader to Podium are on the same network.
- You’re using a 2.4 GHz network; 5 GHz Wi-Fi connections can’t be used.
- Your Wi-Fi connection is secure.
- Your DNS settings have been configured correctly.