Most consumers prefer to interact with businesses through text messaging. If you currently have a landline (or something similar), making your phone number textable can be a game-changer.
Your business may use one of several types of phone numbers such as a landline, Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP), mobile, or toll-free. Most of these can be converted to numbers that receive texts, with some exceptions:
- Landline. Most landline phone providers allow your business number to be converted into a textable number.
- VoIP (Voice over Internet Protocol). Some VoIP phone providers allow your business number to be converted into a textable number but doing so requires that the provider first enables the service.
- Toll Free. Some phone providers allow your business number to be converted into a textable number but doing so requires that the carrier first enables the service. Toll-free numbers can receive text messages (SMS) but not multimedia messages (MMS).
- Mobile. Most mobile carriers don’t allow a mobile number to be converted to receive text messages.
To determine if your phone number can be textable, contact Podium Support by logging into your Podium account and initiating a live chat. If your phone number can’t be converted, you can use your Podium phone number to receive text messages. If you don’t know what your Podium number is, read “Finding Your Podium Phone Number.”
- If you’re converting a VoIP, toll-free, or mobile number, make sure you’ve contacted your phone service provider and had them release the texting profile for your phone number.
- Contact Product Support by logging into your Podium Account and initiating a live chat. If you have a phone tree or extension system, please inform the representative you’re working with.
- A Podium support representative will reach out and schedule a phone call with you.
Attention: You must answer the support phone call from a phone number that is different from the number you’re converting.
- While talking to customer support, you’ll receive a second phone call on your business phone. Enter the code provided by a support representative into the business phone.
- Electronically sign the Letter of Authorization (LOA) that was sent to your email address. By signing this agreement, you’re authorizing Podium to take over texting service from your current phone service provider. Typically, it takes 48 hours for set up to be completed and for your number to become textable.