Before you can start collecting payments using a mobile (field) card reader, you’ll need to download the Podium app to your device and sign in to your account. You’ll also need to fully charge the card reader before unplugging and using it. (After a card reader has been connected to a device, you’ll be able to see the battery percentage on the screen.)
It’s also important to note that a mobile card reader can only be connected to one mobile device at a time. If a card reader is already connected, you’ll need to disconnect it from the original device, then connect it to the new one.
- In the Podium app, tap Settings.
- Tap Card Reader.
- Tap OK to let Podium use the device’s Bluetooth.
- Tap Allow While Using App to let Podium to use the device’s location.
- Tap I’m ready to connect my card reader.
- Tap the serial number (found on the back) of the mobile reader you’re connecting to.
If your card reader isn’t able to connect to your mobile device using Bluetooth, try these steps:
- Go to the Apple App Store or Google Play store and update the Podium app.
- Turn the card reader off and on. Also, make sure the card reader is charged. You’ll know the card reader is on when the light flashes blue.
- Turn the Bluetooth on your device off and on. Do not connect to the card reader using your mobile device’s Bluetooth setting.
- Disconnect/reconnect to Bluetooth. If you connect the card reader to Bluetooth using your settings, it won’t work. You must connect the card reader to Bluetooth within the Podium app. If necessary, select the “Forget” option in your settings and open the Podium app to reconnect.
- Move to a location with better mobile reception. For example, don’t try to connect to a card reader in a basement.
- Place the card reader and mobile device next to one another.
If you’re still unable to connect your card reader, go into your mobile device’s Bluetooth settings and “Forget” all devices. Wait five minutes, and then try to connect. For additional help contact Product Support by logging into your Podium account and initiating a live chat.